Information We Collect
We collect your Personal Information in the following ways:
- Information from your use of the Services: We may receive information about how and when you use the Services, store it in log files or other types of files associated with your account, and link it to other information we collect about you. This information may include, for example, your IP address, time, date, browser used, and actions you have taken within the application. This type of information helps us to improve our Services for both you and for all of our Customers.
- Web beacons: We use web beacons, also called pixel tags, on our Websites and in our emails. When we send emails to Customers, we may track behavior such as who opened the emails and who clicked the links. This allows us to measure the performance of our email campaigns and to improve our features for specific segments of Customers. To do this, we include a single pixel tag in emails we send. These tags allow us to collect information about when you open the email, your IP address, your browser or email client type, and other similar details. We also include single pixel tags in the emails we deliver, through the Platform, on our Customer’s behalf. We use the data from those web beacons to create reports about how our Customer’s email campaign performed and what actions their Recipients took with respect to that email. Similarly, reports are also available to us when we send email to you, so we may collect and review that information.
- Contest and Sweepstakes: We may, from time to time, offer surveys, contests, sweepstakes, or other promotions on our Websites or through social media (collectively, “Promotions”). Your participation in our Promotions is completely voluntary. Information requested for entry may include personal contact information such as your name, address, date of birth, phone number, email address, username, and similar details. We use the information you provide to administer our Promotions. We may also, unless prohibited by the Promotion’s rules or law, use the information provided to communicate with you, or other people you select, about our Services. We may share this information with our group of companies and other organizations or Service Providers in line with this policy and the rules posted for the Promotion.
- Blog: We have public blogs on our Websites. Any information you include in a comment on our blog may be read, collected, and used by anyone. If your Personal Information appears on our blogs and you want it removed, please contact us at email@example.com. If we are unable to remove your information, we will tell you why.
- Social media platforms and widgets: Our Websites may include social media features, such as the Facebook Like button. These features may collect information about your IP address and which page you are visiting on our Website, and they may set a cookie to make sure the feature functions properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our Website. We also maintain presences on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Any information, communications, or materials you submit to us via a social media platform is done at your own risk without any expectation of privacy. We cannot control the actions of other users of these platforms or the actions of the platforms themselves. Your interactions with those features and platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them.
- Information from other sources: We may, from time to time, obtain information about you from third party sources, such as public databases, third party data providers, and our joint marketing partners. We take steps to ensure that such third parties are legally permitted or required to disclose such information to us. Examples of the information we may receive from other sources include: demographic information, company information, device information (such as IP addresses), location, and online behavioral data (such as information about your use of social media websites, page view information, and search results and links). We use this information, alone or in combination with other information (including Personal Information) we collect, to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing and content to you and to develop and provide you with more relevant products features, and services.
Use and Disclosure of Your Personal Information
We may use and disclose your Personal Information only for the following purposes:
- To send you informational and promotional content in accordance with your marketing preferences. You can manage your preferences to receive specific content in our subscription center or choose to stop receiving these emails altogether by following the unsubscribe instructions included in every email.
- To bill and collect money owed to us by our Customers. This includes sending you emails, invoices, receipts, notices of delinquency, and alerting you if we need a different credit card number. We use third parties for secure credit card transaction processing, and we send billing information to those third parties to process your orders and credit card payments.
- To communicate with our Customers about their account and provide customer support.
- To protect the rights and safety of our Customers and third parties, as well as our own.
- To meet legal requirements, including complying with court orders, valid discovery requests, valid subpoenas, and other appropriate legal mechanisms.
- To provide information to representatives and advisors, including attorneys and accountants, to help us comply with legal, accounting, or security requirements.
- To prosecute or defend a court, arbitration, or any other legal proceeding.
- To respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- To provide, support, and improve the Services we offer. This includes our use of the data that our Customers provide us in order to enable our Customers to use the Services to communicate with their Recipients. This also includes, for example, aggregating information from your use of the Services and sharing this information with third parties to improve our Services. This might also include sharing your information or the information you provide us about your Recipients with third parties in order to provide and support our Services or to make certain features of the Services available to you. When we do have to share Personal Information with third parties, we take steps to protect your information by requiring these third parties to enter into a contract with us that require them to use the Personal Information we transfer to them in a manner that is consistent with this policy.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
- Business Partners. From time to time, SparkPost may partner with other companies to jointly offer products, services or programs including, for example, webinars, events, downloadable content, or integrated features. If you purchase, specifically express interest in, or register for a jointly offered product, service, or program from or through SparkPost, we may share your Personal Information collected in connection with your purchase or expression of interest with our business partners. SparkPost does not control our business partners’ use of shared Personal Information and their use of such information will be in accordance with their own privacy policies. If you do not wish for your information to be shared in this manner, you may opt to not purchase or specifically express interest in a jointly offered product or service.
- Information Disclosed for our Protection and the Protection of Others. We may disclose information about you to third parties: (a) if we are required to do so by law, court order or legal process; (b) in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements; (c) under the discovery process in litigation; (d) to enforce SparkPost policies or contracts; (e) to collect amounts owed to SparkPost; (f) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation or prosecution of suspected or actual illegal activity; or (g) if we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable. In addition, from time to time, server logs may be reviewed for security purposes including, for example, to detect unauthorized activity on the Services. In such cases, server log data containing Personal Information may be shared with law enforcement bodies so that they may identify users in connection with their investigation of the unauthorized activities.
Data Collected for and by our Customer
If you are a Recipient and no longer want to be contacted by one of our Customers, please unsubscribe directly from that Customer’s emails or contact the Customer directly to update or delete your data. If you contact us, we may remove or update your information within a reasonable time and after providing notice to the Customer of your request.
Content of Emails Sent
When a Customer sends an email to a Recipient, it bounces from server to server as it crosses the Internet. Along the way, server administrators can read what you send. Email was not built for sending confidential information and most emails end up in an unencrypted inbox. Please do not use the Services to send confidential information.
Anonymous and Aggregated Information
SparkPost may use your Personal Information and other information about you to create anonymized and aggregated information, such as de-identified demographic information, de-identified location information, information about the computer or device from which you access the Sites or other online Services, or other analyses we create. Anonymized and aggregated information is used for a variety of functions, including the measurement of visitors’ interest in and use of various portions or features of the Services. Anonymized or aggregated information is not Personal Information, and SparkPost may use such information in a number of ways, including research, internal analysis, analytics and any other legally permissible purposes. We may share this information within SparkPost and with Third Parties for our or their purposes in an anonymized or aggregated form that is designed to prevent anyone from identifying you.