Weekly Email Marketing News Digest
On this week’s edition of the email marketing news digest we’re looking at what the experts have to say on the do’s and don’ts of email segmentation. We present the views, so you can do your own testing to see what works best for your business! And for the email segmentation experts out there, we’ve kept it diversified with tips from mobile marketing and study results on the industry performance of email marketing.
Targeting increases relevance, which in turn boosts customer engagement leading to increased email clicks and open rates. Targeting is achieved through segmentation and here are 7 ways to segment an email list:
- Automated triggers
- Purchase data
- Customer Preferences
While the previous article gives a good overview of basic email segmentation practices, Jordie van Rijn provides examples where it’s okay to make an exception, or to go one step further in ensuring your email is both relevant and targeted.
- Early segmentation – Sometimes it’s best to put off collecting customer preferences to make email sign-up less painful. Instead, go for a customer preference center.
- Age & behavior – Don’t make assumptions about age group. For example, just because you are targeting baby boomers doesn’t mean you don’t need an email that is optimized for mobile.
- Gender segmentation – Remember that during the season of giving, people might purchase something on your site for the opposite gender as a gift.
- Geographic location – Rethink the way you present content to a national audience if you segment by geography. Be creative!
Couple of weeks back we featured an article on how you can improve email deliverability through SEO tactics. Now we’re letting mobile marketing teach us a few new tricks. Get users to opt in to receiving email through text by:
- Asking them
- Offering incentives
- Opt-ins within mobile apps
- Customer review
- Captive audiences
- Short codes
- QR codes
We’re all about multi-channel these days so we might as well apply that to our marketing tactics as well!
Our client Eloqua has gathered data revealing that personalized subject lines are key to open rates. Email subject lines that contain the name and one other personal detail perform the best.
Here are 5 other tips to boost your open rates.
- Segment your list separately by social data
- Craft templates that enable you to trigger personalized emails
- Exclamation points don’t necessarily drive opens
- Test and track the effectiveness of calls to action (CTAs)
- Align your email and social language for consistent communication
Think you’re good at email marketing? Here’s an infographic to give you some insight on how you compare in the industry (or in UK at least).
Looking for a digital messaging software with built-in functionality to segment lists for behavioral marketing? Read more about Momentum.