- API & Integration
- SparkPost vs SendGrid
- Learn More
- Volume Pricing
Choose your sending volume and get up and running in minutes.
- Add-on Plans
Combine with any volume tier for a custom tailored plan.
- Get Started for Free
- Help & Docs
- Deliverability Guide
- Case Studies
- Email Explained
- White Papers & Guides
- Webinars & Videos
Email’s Image Issues
How many of you eagerly check your email every 5 minutes waiting for the promotional emails of brands to reach your inbox. Show of hands. Anyone? How often do you say, “WOW, fantastic email generic brand ABC! I can’t wait to see more from you!” The sad truth is, while there are brands that can stun and surprise us with awesome email marketing campaigns, it doesn’t really happen often enough.
Email has an image problem and it all has to do with brands sending us generic marketing emails with content that are not relevant to our interests. Experts in the email industry share their thoughts on what can make email better.
Email is suffering from an image crisis, where consumers feel that they have lost control over a permission-based channel. Mike May offers some suggestions to brands on making the email experience a delight for the consumers.
- Anticipation: Pre-empt customer requests for information and give it them before they ask for it.
- Selflessness: Find a way to make the subscriber’s day a bit better and reward them for being a reader.
- Surprise: Surprise your reader!
- Personality: Ensure that your messages convey personality.
Hey, as Steve Jobs once said, “You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.”
Our friend, Chris Penn, and VP of Marketing Technology at SHIFT Communications is interviewed by Salesforce.com Marketing Cloud, on email’s image issue, the role it plays in the marketing mix and its forseeable future. Chris has often wowed us with his depth of knowledge when it comes to marketing technology so be sure to watch the interviews!
How well do you manage your email marketing? Independent email consultant, Tim Watson highlights 10 common mistakes. 5 & 9 in particular are definitely factors that lead to recipients hitting the spam button, so avoid these mistakes!
- Mistake 1. Not setting long-term Email-specific goals.
- Mistake 2. Not investing in list growth.
- Mistake 3. Failing to track email signup sources.
- Mistake 4. Not using all customer touchpoints for signup.
- Mistake 5. Lack of a clear email value proposition.
- Mistake 6. Not investing time to setup triggered messaging.
- Mistake 7. Not Testing targeting.
- Mistake 8. Frequency of send not optimised.
- Mistake 9. Offer unclear up front.
- Mistake 10. Lack of measurement beyond the click.
Chris Hexton, from Vero provides 20 examples of great lifecycle emails. Here are some examples:
The sense of urgency email
The up sell email
The education email
Want to make sure that your marketing emails are getting into your customer’s inbox? Check out our Email Marketing Best Practices 101 eBook!SparkPost © 2017 All Rights Reserved