2017 Email Marketing Tips
Similar to some new year’s resolutions, changing your email habits can yield a positive effect on your brand and your bottom line. We’ve put together 11 tips to help you improve your email end game in 2017. Are you up for the challenge?
- Make your CTAs bigger and tappable with a thumb. Given the increase in the number of emails being opened on mobile, you don’t want to lose people because your CTA buttons are too small.
- It’s all about the font! Make sure the body copy is large enough and clear. Recommended font size is 14 point.
- Use emojis. Make your subject line stand out in the inbox with the proper use of emojis. (See this post for tips on best practices of using emojis in email)
- Personalize the greeting. It seems corny, but people love seeing their name in print and it shows them that you carefully put this email together with them in mind. By adding their first and last name to both the title and the body copy, your message will show you care. Plus, according to Aberdeen, personalized emails improve click-thru rates by 14% and conversions by 10%.
- Personalize the offer. You can personalize your emails and offers if your data is accurate. But be careful, nothing is worse than improper personalization.
- Proof-read your email. Grammar mistakes in an email are a big turn off no matter the brand.
- Re-engage un-opens. Send a follow-up email with a different subject line or the same subject line but at a different time of day. The truth is, you don’t know why they didn’t open it, but experimenting with time of day and subject line are a good start to re-engaging the unengaged.
- Use video in your emails. Recent studies show that video email marketing has a 280% higher return than traditional emails.
- Avoid spam triggered words in your subject lines such as: free, winner, perfect, good, help, % off, and reminder.
- Scrub your list. In July 2017 Canada’s anti-spam law goes into effect. Here’s what you need to know.
- Optimize for mobile. With 56% of emails being opened on mobile, mobile-aware or responsive design is a must.
Stay Tuned for the Sparky Awards
Want to show us your stuff? Stay tuned for the 2017 Sparky Awards where you can submit your best emails for best subject line, best use of the SparkPost API, best email campaign, and best integration of SparkPost with a SparkPost partner. View our 2016 Sparky Award winners.